[quinoa] spaghetti & [turkey] meatballs
It’s pretty typical that Sunday evening rolls around and I have no food in the apartment… luckily for me, last Sunday I happened to be at my parent’s house and solved my grocery dilemma by doing a quick shop in their kitchen (thanks, Mom & Dad!). My Mom had a box of quinoa pasta that I snagged– pretty cool concept, and at 205 calories a serving, I was sold.
No, it didn’t taste as good as real spaghetti, but I liked it and will buy it again (okay, I didn’t technically buy it this time, but whatever). I typically like to make my own sauce, but I had a jar of really good spagetti sauce from New Hampshire (we get the pasta from this company every year when we go to Maine), so all that was left to do was make turkey meatballs! Directions for the meatballs below, makes about 4-6 servings.
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 large vidalia onion, finely diced
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- approx 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (small chunks of bread actually work better)
- 1/2 bunch parsley or cilantro (this is A LOT, but I like a lot of fresh herbs)… I prefer cilantro in general, but parsley is a more traditional taste
- 1/2 cut grated parm
- approx 2 table spoons season all and a few grinds black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (easiest to do it with your hands)
- Form balls (I usually make them about 1.5 inch in diameter) and place on a tinfoil lined (for easy clean up) pan
- Cook for approx 25 minutes or until cooked through/not pink in the middle