mac [spagetti squash] and cheese
I love Mac & Cheese. LOVE. The first food I blogged about was Mac & Cheese. And, lets be honest, I will probably spend the rest of my adult life trying to come up with a healthier version of my beloved cheesy pasta. And then, when “healthier” fails, I will make the good stuff.
BUT, I did find this healthier (or at least less carb-y) version on Pinterest and thought I’d give it a try. If you check out the recipe, she did those step-by-step picture instructions that I love. So, since I HATE the lighting in my kitchen and refuse to post horrific pictures, just look at hers.
I changed up the recipe a bit… I’m not really a fan of peppers or peas, so I added sauteed onions… and I made a much bigger serving since I had a huge spagetti squash (quadrupled the sauce).
- 1 LARGE spagetti squash
- 1 LARGE vidalia onion, diced
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup mixed shredded low fat cheddar and part-skim mozzarella cheese
- approx 1 tbsp salt & 1/2 tbsp pepper (plus some to sprinkle on top)
- approx 1/2 cup shredded parm
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a casserole dish with PAM.
- Pierce the spagetti squash several times and stick in the microwave for 20 minutes (until cooked. Scoop out the seeds and scrape the squash into a big bowl
- Saute the diced onions for 5 minutes, until translucent with a little bit of browning (I did it with PAM).
- While the squash is cooking, wisk together, over medium heat, the flour, salt & pepper and milk until thick (takes about two minutes of continual wisking). Remove from heat and mix in the cheese. Pour the cheese mixture over the squash and toss to coat. Mix in the sauteed onions.
- Pour the squash into the casserole dish and sprinkle the parm and green onions on top (add a little more salt and pepper). Stick in the oven for about 20 minutes (until cheese is melted).
Serves 6 people easily. Maybe with a salad… it’s pretty damn rich. And delicious.