healthier twice baked potatoes
I’m not going to lie and say these taste just like those appetizers filled with cheese, bacon and sour cream goodness. BUT, these are yummy AND healthier. I serve with a big simple salad (mixed lettuce, cucumber, onion and dijon vinaigrette).
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 fage 0% (the single serving)
- 1 medium vidalia onion, diced
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- approx 1 cup skim milk (depending on how smooth you like it)
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 head garlic
- salt and pepper
- olive oil PAM
- optional: a tablespoon of olive oil and/or sliver of butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the potatoes with PAM and bake in a foil lined pan for 30 min, then remove and pierce each potato a few times with a fork. Put them back in the oven to bake until tender, about 30 min. Remove and turn the heat down to 375.
- Roast the garlic at the same time as the potatoes: Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Cut off about 1/4 off the top, exposing the individual cloves of garlic. Spray with PAM and place in the pan with the potatoes for about 30 minutes– remove the garlic when you go to pierce the potatoes. Squeeze the garlic out of the skin and mash up.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the insides (leave enough to keep the boat-like shape).
- Mash the potato with the garlic, yogurt, salt, pepper, and milk (and butter/olive oil if using). Then mix in the onions (reserve some of the green to sprinkle on top).
- Spray the potato shells all over with PAM. Sprinkle a layer of cheese on the bottom, then spread a layer of the potato onion mixture, repeat until fill. Sprinkle with cheddar on the top and spray with PAM.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy!