i marry my lobster

i marry my lobster

It’s a cheesy thing to say, “It was the best day of my life.”

On June 14, 2014, I woke up in a suite at the Short Hills Hilton, alone. I note the fact that I was alone, because it was very unusual for me… I’ve spent the last six years of my life waking up to someone, and the last four to someone and a furball. Normally I hate it when Rob is away (it’s not often) and I have to sleep alone, but waking up on the day of my wedding alone was exciting.

My mom and sisters picked me up and we went to get my nails re-painted. It was nice to spend some time with just them. I’m writing this almost a year later, so the details escape me, but I remember sitting in the chair and Sami talking about posting pictures on instagram and just thinking how great it was that the day was finally here.

We headed over to Pleasantdale Chateau and were met by my bridesmaids and mother-in-law to be. We spent the next six hours getting ready… so basically sitting around in robes eating and having our hair and make up done. It was fun… it flew by. Suddenly the photographer was there and we were on the clock, t-minus three hours until I walked down the aisle. Those three hours also flew by, some moments were stressful, taking photos was definitely my least favorite part of the day, and yet I love the photos.

The interesting thing about a Jewish wedding is that the bulk of the wedding takes place before you walk down the aisle, in a small room, with just our immediate family and bridal party. I wish I remembered that part better, but what I took away from it was how happy I was that Rabbi Cohen was officiating (he was my childhood Rabbi and had been meeting with Rob for the past year… he knew us well), how much I loved my family and friends, and how sure I was in my choice of the person I was committing myself to.

I had been sure, leading up to the wedding, that I would cry. I cried every time I read our vows. I cried just thinking about ceremony. But, day of, walking down the aisle, I had a not-particularly-flattering-shit-eating grin on my face. Throughout the ceremony I could not stop smiling. I was so incredibly happy. Okay, I got choked up a little on my vows, but only a little.

After the ceremony we went up to the bridal suite and got to try all the appetizers and spend some time alone together. Then Carolyn and my two bridal attendants spent a solid 30 minutes doing my ridiculous bustle. We went down and caught the last 10 minutes of the cocktail hour and then got ready to make our entrance into the ballroom.

I could probably write forever about all the incredible moments of the reception– our first dance, the outpour of love from everyone we talked to (I did make it to every table), my dad’s amazing speech (which I sobbed through, especially when he asked me to dance afterwards), the fact that I literally spent 75% of my night on the dance floor, something the maitre d told me he’d never seen before (I love to dance!), the 10 person¬†band (who learned our song… which was in Italian), the incredible food (I tried it all! anyone who cares about food as much as I do and doesn’t try what they’ve spent months planning on their wedding day is a fool), the beautiful flowers and dress (and red soled shoes) that made me feel like a princess… having everyone you love in one room, with a great band, stocked bar (okay, three bars), and good food… that doesn’t suck.

It was the best day of my life… so far.


photo credits: Jenny MacFarlane, Stylish & Hip Weddings

1_7B4A15747B4A15904_7B4A17313_7B4A16605_7B4A17024_7B4A17167B4A17576_7B4A17627_ 7B4A17687_8_7B4A17827B4A1828IMG_73767_9_IMG_74437_11_IMG_7608IMG_75267_10_IMG_75827B4A20717B4A20217B4A19567B4A19317B4A25557B4A25827B4A25987B4A22587B4A22657B4A22777B4A22617B4A22437B4A22427B4A24177B4A24137B4A23987B4A23477B4A23787B4A23537B4A23637B4A23087B4A23267B4A23077B4A23027B4A22827B4A22937B4A23167B4A23227B4A24267B4A3485